What is Contractor Prequalification?
CAF Contractor Prequalification is a high-level systems, policies and processes assessment against the CAF Star Standards. Prequalification is designed to facilitate CAF Building Certification at a portfolio level leading to a more rigorous and efficient certification process.
Prequalification is not an assurance of compliance with labour standards at a building level. Click here for more information on the interaction between CAF Prequalification and CAF Certification.
Benefits of CAF Contractor Prequalification
A cleaning contractor that is CAF Prequalified can signal to existing and potential clients that the company has:
- adequate management systems in place to provide correct wages and conditions and superannuation, including appropriate record keeping systems;
- processes to educate cleaners about their workplace rights and conditions of employment policies, procedures and systems in place to provide cleaners with paid and unpaid leave entitlements;
- systems to verify and monitor visa holders’ right to work in Australia
- financial viability;
- systems for the responsible management, monitoring and enforcement of labour subcontracting;
- adequate WHS systems, policies and procedures to provide cleaners with a safe work environment;
- mechanisms in place to reduce the risk of worker exploitation, e.g. sham contracting, underpayment, modern slavery, etc., and considered ways in which it can provide cleaners with job security at a change of contract.
Property owners, landlords and procuring parties that certify buildings where the contractor is CAF Prequalified will also benefit from a reduced certification fee and a more simplified assessment process.
Steps to becoming CAF Prequalified
Cleaning contractors that wish to become CAF Prequalified will go through the following steps: